Re: linking to sites - naive question

Subject: Re: linking to sites - naive question
From: Tracy Boyington <trlyboyi -at- GENESIS -dot- ODVTE -dot- STATE -dot- OK -dot- US>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 11:37:01 +0000

>> If I publish a web site, why would I object to having someone
>> establish a link to it?

> On the whole, no one does. That's why permission is usually so
> trivial to obtain. But there are circumstances. Suppose a neo-nazi
> group put a link to Michael Medved's column, and couched the
> link in terms which made the reader believe he approved of their
> aims? Doesn't Medved have the right to
> prevent them from making it look like he's associated with them?

Yes, but...

In this circumstance, Medved's only right would be to prevent the
neo-nazis from claiming an association. This has nothing to do with
whether they provide an easy way to access his column. What if the
nazis didn't provide a link, but said something about "our good buddy
Michael Medved?" He would still have the right (I presume and hope)
to put a stop that. What if the nazis provided a link to
his column and said nothing at all about an association? "Oh, by the
way, if you like Michael Medved, read his column here." Would he
have the right to stop that? I don't think so.

Tracy

Tracy Boyington trlyboyi -at- genesis -dot- odvte -dot- state -dot- ok -dot- us
Oklahoma Department of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
http://genesis.odvte.state.ok.us/cimc/home.htm