Re: # sign

Subject: Re: # sign
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 16:59:58 -0800

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996 11:41:15 EDT, Karen Molloy wrote:

>>Hmmmmmmmmm.......... when did people stop calling the # sign the
>>_pound_ sign?

>Many people outside the US have *never* called it the "pound" sign. Ask someone
>who speaks British English what the pound sign is. What they consider the pound
>sign is not the # symbol.

Agreed, the "pound" sign in Britain is a squirly 'L' denoting currency
(much like the dollar sign on this side of pond could be considered a
squirly 'S' ;)

Actually, calling '#' a pound sign doesn't have as much meaning to
someone who's grown up in Canada in the last 30 years with the metric
system, either. "Pound" is what I do to the keyboard when Windows
crashes and takes down the last two hours' work with it =)

Your friend and mine,
Matt
They shoot without shame / In the name of a piece of dirt
For a change of accent / Or the color of your shirt
Better the pride that resides / In a Citizen of the World
Than the pride that divides / When a colorful rag is unfurled
- Rush, "Territories"
#include standard_disclaimer.h