Re: Are UNIX manpages obsolete?

Subject: Re: Are UNIX manpages obsolete?
From: Mary Anthony <mary -at- PERSISTENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 09:02:02 -0700

At 10:42 PM 9/30/96 PDT, Robert wrote:

>Any credible UNIX application will have a man page that tells you
>the application's command-line syntax, relevant UNIX stuff such
>as application-specific environment variables, and how to get
>the on-line help to run in order to discover more information.

I agree with Robert. If you are writing for UNIX users, you should provide
man pages.

Also, I believe that many of the publishing tools that run on UNIX provide a
filter to import man pages. Last time I used Frame on UNIX, this was the
case. Also, there is a nifty CGI out there that will pull them into a
browser in HTML format -- no muss, no fuss. See:

ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Web/httpd/Unix/ncsa_httpd/cgi/

Mary

--------
"What I read, I forget; what I see, I remember; what I do, I learn."
- Unknown Dressage Master
---------
Mary Anthony mary -at- persistence -dot- com