Re: ISO 9000

Subject: Re: ISO 9000
From: WRONECKI Frederic DG <frederic -dot- wronecki -at- FRANCETELECOM -dot- FR>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 18:20:46 +0200

E.S. Kertz wrote :
> Have any of you been involved with ISO 9000, either from a
> participatory or tech writing standpoint? I would
> be interested in hearing about your successes and failures.

I reply lately to this posting...

Here at France Telecom, we're re-engineering major processes towards QA
certification.

I'm not directly involved in these projects, but I work closely with them as
regards building their document systems (note that I'm not a techwriter
myself, I'm driving a project to improve technical documentation).

So if your interest is in QA in itself, I can't give you much insight.

On the document side, it seems to me that writing an ISO 9000 procedure is
just like writing any procedure as regards the contents and the writing
methods. The difference is that management requirements (approval,
distribution, removal of older versions) are extremely stringent. But
they're based on robust common sense, and I'm struggling to convince many
people that they should be applied as well in all domains, not only in those
to be certified.
Frederic Wronecki (speaking for myself, not for my company)
France Telecom, Paris, France
mailto : frederic -dot- wronecki -at- francetelecom -dot- fr