Re: Tech writers' salaries

Subject: Re: Tech writers' salaries
From: David Wood <dave -dot- wood -at- MARRIOTT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 11:19:25 EST

Sharona Nelson writes:

<<<...But I tire of hearing about companies who wouldn't blink to pay an
off-the-scale salary to a talented programmer or engineer in a hot market
but think that a technical writer is not worth the same consideration...>>>

This is exactly the point I would make. Scrimping on documentation can
cripple an otherwise brilliantly programmed piece of software.

East and west cost salaries that seem high by Midwestern standards (no, I'm
not trying to start a geographical debate) may be more in line considering
the relative cost of living. Also, not being familiar with the San
Francisco market, I would ask if the East Bay area is locally viewed as a
more or less desirable work location.

Just another 2 cents, for what it's worth...

My opinions, not Marriott's.

Dave Wood, Documentation Manager, Corporate Accounting Services
Marriott International, Washington DC
(800) 638-8108, extension 84339, email: dave -dot- wood -at- marriott -dot- com
"No profit grows where is no pleasure taken."
Wm. Shakespeare - Taming of the Shrew, Act 1, Scene 1