Re[2]: Industry skill demands

Subject: Re[2]: Industry skill demands
From: David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 20:35:32 -0600

Hi everybody,

I know that you aren't going to believe this, in light of
the thread concerning "Obsession . . ." but more of industry
demands RoboHELP and Doc-to-Help than ask for university
degrees in writing.

As some of you know, I have been examining job postings for
about a year now for what industry wants when they list tech
comm positions.

Although I am presently only about half way through the
list, the trend is surprising.

First, the positions that demand a writing education of any
kind. Are you ready???? 24%. (Its true! I know you don't
believe it but its true! I kid you not!)

The list of positions that require advanced degrees? 4 or 5
out of 500.

Positions that demand a writing education or experience.
58%

The list of positions that demand skills beyond writing is
so nearly 100% as to make no difference (mostly document
management, web page development, help file development).

Gotta go. I hear my wife honking.

I'll give the specifics on software in a day or two.

They are much more believable than the education statistics.

In brief: 500 job postings out of 750 being
studied--obviously we aren't quite done yet. These are
posted on STC lists so they may reflect fewer entry level
positions than are listed.

Now I really gotta go; she's honking really loud.

Best to you all.

Dave Hailey
Here at USU without enough time to proof or spell check.