TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Subject:job opening and compensation question From:Kelly Leydon <kelly -dot- leydon -at- AMP -dot- COM> Date:Thu, 3 Oct 1996 09:10:33 -0400
I've been reading the thread about the tech writing market and salaries. It
could not have come at a more appropriate time.
I am a small technical writing and desktop publishing consulting company in
CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA. I would like to know WHAT A FAIR HOURLY RATE TO PAY
for the following (I will take out all taxes and provide paid days off, no health insurance though).
I have an immediate opening with a large company that wants the following:
- A technical writer/editor with 2-5 years of practical software engineering
- Proficiency with MS Word 6 or 7 required (FrameMaker exp. would be a plus)
- Understanding of Win95 and Unix operating systems
- Desktop publishing and page layout experience
- Ability to self-teach software packages as needed
- Understanding of online publications process and HTML
Some of the responsibilities this person would have are:
- Editing and formatting 3 quarterly newsletters (ranging in size from
4-20 pages). Coordinating and packaging the newsletters for printing and
- Writing, editing and/or testing user documentation and quick reference
guides. This would include working with software developers (who usually
write the first draft) to determine appropriate language and format for
- Assisting staff in the development of standards and procedures.
- Taking minutes at high-level production meetings and condensing the
information into an easy-to-understand digest form.
- Assisting staff with software questions/problems related to MS Word
This is an ideal position for someone who can work independently but enjoys
working in a large, dynamic environment.The person who held this job the
last worked for me for over 2-1/2 years and recently left stating she
wasn't being paid enough. I have consulted the STC salary survey and seem
to be in the ball park.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please contact me
directly at (717) 564-5166 or send me an e-mail message stating your
qualifications and salary requirements.
If you just want to help me make sure I am compensating fairly please send
me an e-mail directly.
Advanced Resources Group
P.O. Box 4633
Harrisburg, PA 17111