Job hopping

Subject: Job hopping
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 14:31:20 -0500

From my own (employee) standpoint, I can see and accept the
rationale behind job hopping. But let's put on our techpubs
manager hats for a moment: We just spent two months
advertising, _reading_ resumes (_we_ don't use no steenkin
OCR!), interviewing, checking references, running
interference at Personnel, helping the new writer find a
home and fill out all the forms. We finally hire someone
good, pay them a competitive starting wage... and then they
fly off at the first good job offer. <Fe> Fortunately, we've
enjoyed ourselves so much doing the hiring that we gleefully
put aside our looming (and always unreasonable) deadlines
and start the whole process over again.

Of course, we can always console ourselves with the
knowledge that we don't set wage policy for our company,
don't have the clout to change corporate hiring or payment
policy, and have to keep our employees happy and
productive. Then there's office politics, fighting for
staffing and equipment money, discipline problems,
wondering if the departing employee took confidential info.
down the road to our competitor, and on and on. And then,
after we've spent 10 years building some credibility, word
comes down the pipe that we have to lay off half our staff.

Not a job I'd want. I'd have a hard time picking someone
really good (and mobile) over someone who merely does a
competent job, but who wants to stick with me for a few
years. I'd understand why such people are hard to find, but
it wouldn't make me any more sympathetic to hiring job
hoppers. It's not a question of doubting the hopper's
skills (they're being headhunted because they're good,
right?) or emotional stability (pace Moshe Koenig)... it's
simply self-defence.