Make me want to stay!

Subject: Make me want to stay!
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 13:35:11 -0500

hopping", Joanne Grey asked what I'd do to make her want to
stay. As Moshe Koenig noted eloquently (the "concentration
camp" image was particularly striking), you've got to give
employees a reason to stay (nothing is ever one-sided). Off
the top of my head, I use the following organisational
criteria in evaluating a job: bosses who treat me as human,
who give me power commensurate with my responsibility, who
cut me some slack, who challenge me to produce my best but
who don't humiliate me if I fail, who encourage me to learn
new skills, and who offer something like job security.

I've only changed jobs twice, each time initially with a
minor pay decrease but with great working conditions and an
opportunity to catch up quickly to my old salary. As a
result, I'll have doubled my first paycheque within 10
years and only 3 jobs. That's certainly not as impressive
as what others have quoted, but then again, I'm not working
in high tech, Montreal has a low cost of living, and I
haven't agressively sought new positions when I found some
place where I could be content. I'd make more as a
consultant, but frankly, until my kids grow up, I prefer
the security and the predictable hours.