Radio Button

Subject: Radio Button
From: Rebecca Phillips <rebecca -at- QRONUS -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:29:06 +-200

Dear Techwhirlers:

What do you call the round buttons that appear in some GUIs? There
are checkboxes, which are square and can have an X or be blank, used for Yes/No
choices. What I'm asking about is the counterpart to the checkbox: those
circular areas which can have a black dot in them or be blank, used to
represent a list where you can select only one of the options. Apparently, the
official name for these round checkboxes is "radio buttons", but that name seems
confusing. I don't remember every having seen the term radio button used in a real
document (except in books on GUI interface, which I can safely assume my
users did not read).

Rebecca

Rebecca M. Phillips
Documentation Manager