Re[2]: PDF versus HTML

Subject: Re[2]: PDF versus HTML
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:34:19 GMT

Unfortunately it isn't as simple as that. Recently, we wanted to
put some documentation on-line, and needed an Acrobat viewer for
the platform in use by the customer. Xwindows on IBM RS/6000 isn't
exactly an obscure platform, but there was no .PDF viewer for it
last year.

Looking into it, I found that there were only Acrobat viewers for a
limited number of platforms - far fewer than those supported by
HTML viewers.

Admittedly, Microsoft Internet Explorer only runs on a very limited
range of software, but it is free, and Netscape seems to support
many platforms, although not for free! I suspect that there will be
more and more HTML readers arriving to display on-line help and
documentation in the near future.