*certified* translators??

Subject: *certified* translators??
From: Lisa Pena <pena -at- MMSI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 11:13:53 -0700

John Glenn wrote:

> (We can translate the docs, but we are NOT a
> > ''certified ?? translator.'')
> >
> > john glenn <sfarmh1 -at- scfn -dot- thpl -dot- lib -dot- fl -dot- us>

I have noticed that some states (here in the U.S.) seem
to have stricter rules about "certified" translations
than others. It is my understanding that in Arizona, for
example, translators don't *have* to be certified as long
as a notary public authenticates their signature on a
translation... but that California has strict requirements
about translators being certified (through a written and
oral exam).

Does anyone out there know if this is true? How can I
find out more about this?

Thanks,

Lisa Pena
pena -at- mmsi -dot- com