To Laugh or To Cry?

Subject: To Laugh or To Cry?
From: Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:16:01 -0700

Colleagues,

This appeared in the Birmingham (AL) Sunday Help Wanted ads. When I read it
it I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry.

WRITERS WANTED

"Small independent publisher seeks writers for special projects. These are
strictly work-for-hire, and ALL copyrights remain with us, although you will
be given writing credit. You will be required to do your own research.
Each project is expected to be about 50,000 words when finished. We pay
five (5) cents per word for finished, acceptable and usable copy, payable as
the work is completed and submitted. We use Words (sic) for Windows, and
will want the work submitted on disc and paper. There is an extremely short
time line of three to five weeks on these projects. We are looking for low-
key "friendly" writing style. Please write me at 2901 Ridgelake Drive,
Suite 107, Metarie,LA 70002 or fax me at 504-828-7123 Attn: Judith.
Include at least one sample of your published work, and your phone number."

No company name was included in the ad.

A quick punch of the little solar-powered number box tells me we can expect
to earn a whopping $2500 for five weeks work. Sounds simple. All you have
to do is do the research and crank out 1428.5714 finished, acceptable,
usable words per day, seven days a week.

I think I'll stand aside so I don't get trampled in the stampede to sign up.

And some of us feel abused by the deadlines we face in our daytime jobs.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com