Re: Ageism discussion

Subject: Re: Ageism discussion
From: David Locke <locke -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- ANADRILL -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 08:51:46 +0000

At 04:52 PM 10/18/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I would like to see a discussion on the issue of ageism as it affects, or
>does not affect, technical communicators. I turn 41 next month <snip>

Outside the computer business, ageism is not a problem until you hit your
50's. Current theory has it that when you are in your 40's you will make
your highest wage. Then, you can expect layoffs and extended periods of
unemployment to drag your earning down.

I'll turn 40 in a couple of months and don't find ageism an obstacle to
getting a job in the computer industry, but I have worked for a company that
stressed a youth culture. I never fit there and would have appreciated
knowing what I was getting into. There were only three of us that were over
30. And, we all found the place hostile. It wasn't just me.

The problem with ageism is that nobody is actually going to say that you
didn't get the job, because of your age. You won't get the opportunity to
retire on your settlement from an age discrimination suite. You just won't
find work. The best way to beat this is to get beyond independent
consulting, create your own company, hire some young sales people. Then,
forget about ageism.

David
Locke -at- sugar-land -dot- anadrill -dot- slb -dot- com
Engineering - Drilling Information Products
200 Gillingham Ln. Voice: 713 275 4722
Sugar Land, TX 77487 Fax: 713 275 8098