Intranets

Subject: Intranets
From: Kim Wallace <kwallace -at- NEOSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:43:26 -0500

..End lurk...
<snip>
What part of this do you call an intranet?

The campus network. The intercampus network, providing they all are part of
the same university. An intranet can be a LAN. An intranet can be a WAN.
There's no linkage between LAN/WAN and intranet. An intranet is simply a
collection of computers that communicate with each other, typically but not
necessarily using the TCP/IP protocol, within a specific logical entity such
as a campus, a corporation, or even a department within a corporation. The most
common entities spoken of in this context are corporations (in your case,
the university would be an equivalent entity).

<new text>

I would add to Arlen's definition that the intranet is more of a concept -
you run an intranet over a LAN or WAN, using its servers. An intranet
serves a group of users by centralizing access to information. Often the
information is accessed like the Internet, by using a web browser. The
information is provided in HTML format. An intranet is an extension of the
"groupware" concept, except that by using Internet technology, you avoid
being corralled into a single vendor's application (do you hear that Netscape?).

I think that intranets are an exciting way to distribute information across
a company - and that technical writers should be jumping in now. Intranets
represent our future in delivering information to our "customers".

..Begin lurk..
Kim Wallace
Enserch Energy Services, Inc.
I've never failed to make my opinions my own. I won't stop now.