Re: Just FYI : we CAN improve the List !

Subject: Re: Just FYI : we CAN improve the List !
From: WRONECKI Frederic DG <frederic -dot- wronecki -at- FRANCETELECOM -dot- FR>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:24:40 +0200

For me, the question is not to prevent off-topic postings (this is an
impossible to define notion), but to limit the amount of messages to read
and increase their value.

This is why I often suggest that any query be answered by private mail, the
initial poster having to build up a summary for the list.

I also encourage everyone to search into TECHWR-Archives before launching a
new thread : so many topics have already been opened that you can always
find something relevant.

Imagine how it would be valuable if each new posting opened with a summary
of the existing archive material, followed by a precise question about a
specific point to dig out, instead of those widely open "any info would be
appreciated about... " postings !

Finally, I make another suggestion, as a frequent TECHWR-Archive user : when
contributing to a discussion, please do not alter the *beginning* of the
title : the archive server lists messages by alphabetical order, thus two
messages labeled, for instance, "What is an Intranet ?" and "Intranet
definition" are separated.

I really appreciate this list : just to give two examples, I have recently
sent to some colleagues a summary of two discussions about "Intranets -
Don't go there" and "Visio 4 vs ABC Flow Charter" (I'll post the latter on
the list).
Frederic Wronecki
France Telecom, Paris, France
mailto : frederic -dot- wronecki -at- francetelecom -dot- fr