Re: Font Choices

Subject: Re: Font Choices
From: byfield -at- DIRECT -dot- CA
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 19:21:04 -0800

geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA wrote:

> Danna Cardwell wondered about the suitability of 11-point
> Garamond for text. Danna, I like Garamond as a body text
> font, but it's way too thin and fussy for online use (i.e.,
> as PDF), particularly at SVGA and higher resolutions.

What make of Garamond? As Robert Bringhurst points out in The
Elements of Typographic Style, "Garamond" is a name used by
several different fonts, all loosely based on the designs of
the Renaissance font designer Claude Garamond, but often very
different from each other.

Unlike most fonts, Garamond is going to vary a lot from system
to system, depending on which version is loaded. In my mind,
that makes it an unwise choice for on-line work; what looks
good on your system may look horrible on someone else's.

Bruce Byfield (byfield -at- direct -dot- ca)
Burnaby, BC, Canada
(604) 421-7189