Subject: [1]TECHWR-L Digest - 20 Oct
From: Karen Lew <Karen -dot- Lew -at- QUICKMAIL -dot- LLNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 08:12:39 -0800

Thanks for the QuickMail. I'm away from the office until October 28 and will
respond then. If you need the HWM technical editor before then, contact Pat
Boyd or Mike Genin.

--------------------------------------
Date: 10/21/96 10:03 PM
To: Karen Lew
From: Technical Writers List; for al
!!! Original message was too large.
!!!
!!! It is contained in the enclosure whose name
!!! is the same as the subject of this message.
!!!
!!! A preview of the message follows:

Topics of the day:

1. Visio or ABCFlowCharter ?
2. ADMIN: Please take ageism offline
3. File name or filename? (4)
4. Ageism apology
5. Re[2]: Ageism discussion
6. Ageism (2)
7. Ageism discussion
8. Re[3]: Ageism discussion
9. To Laugh or Cry? (2)
10. Ageism: Avoiding the Folks with the Wrong Experience
11. Alternatives to tree-based paper (was Re: Alternative papers)
12. Re[2]: To Laugh or Cry?
13. Ageism; also, related card file behavior
14. Re Value of paper docs? (4)
15. 45 in pespective
16. Re[2]: Over 45? Geriatric!
17. Definite articles with acronyms
18. Ageism: Nothing to be done about it?
19. Technical reviews
20. Canadian Technical Writing Companies....
21. Reminder of Gould Award Nominations
22. job negotiation for beginner
23. JOB:Contract in Palo Alto
24. Client won't pay (2)
25. Single sourcing with HTML as primary docs.
26. Almost over 45 club

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:38:39 +0200
From: WRONECKI Frederic DG <frederic -dot- wronecki -at- FRANCETELECOM -dot- FR>
Subject: Visio or ABCFlowCharter ?

Which, of Visio and ABCFlowCharter, would you rate the better when it comes
to drawing process flowcharts ?
Please send pros and cons by private mail, I'll post a summary on the list.
Frederic Wronecki
France Telecom, Paris, France
mailto : frederic -dot- wronecki -at- francetelecom -dot- fr

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 05:19:18 PDT
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Subject: ADMIN: Please take ageism offline

Gang,

Although the ageism discussion was initiated to
discuss the issue in the context of technical
communication, it seems to be growing increasingly
irrelevant to technical writing issues.

Please take it off-line.

Thanks!
Eric

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 12:21:00 +-100
From: Mike Bygrave <bygravem -at- INTUITIVE -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Subject: Re: File name or filename?

>I am somewhat of a purist. I prefer "file name" in text. When I use it as
a variable name in an example, I'll do something like this:

> copy <filename>.TXT c:/junk

>Almost invariably, I'll use italics for <filename> as a formatting
convention for variables.

...erm, am I being a bit dim here?

It looks very much like you're saying that you prefer "file name" (with a
space), but then--in your examples--you use the unspaced version. What is
you preference?

Mike Bygrave (bygravem -at- intuitive -dot- co -dot- uk)

Standard disclaimer: please don't sue me.
"1966 was a great year for English football...
Cantona was born."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 05:24:54 -0700
From: "Sullivan, John" <jsulliva -at- WESTBORO -dot- WALLDATA -dot- COM>
Subject: Ageism apology

My sincerest apologies to Elna Tymes. I overreacted to her original
posting and misinterpreted her statement. Sorry to cause such a fuss.

John Sullivan

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:12:49 EST
From: Don_Smith -at- SMTPLINK -dot- PENRIL -dot- COM
Subject: Re[2]: Ageism discussion

Joanne -

Wait 'till your 60 and tell us this!

Been there. Isn't that way at all!

I'm 65, still need and *want* to work.

At interviews they see the gray hair, receding hairline, or wrinkles
and its all over. Oh yes, they go through the motions, b