Subject: [1]TECHWR-L Digest - 24 Oct
From: Karen Lew <Karen -dot- Lew -at- QUICKMAIL -dot- LLNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 08:15:24 -0800

Thanks for the QuickMail. I'm away from the office until October 28 and will
respond then. If you need the HWM technical editor before then, contact Pat
Boyd or Mike Genin.

--------------------------------------
Date: 10/25/96 10:01 PM
To: Karen Lew
From: Technical Writers List; for al
!!! Original message was too large.
!!!
!!! It is contained in the enclosure whose name
!!! is the same as the subject of this message.
!!!
!!! A preview of the message follows:

Topics of the day:

1. Java in Educational Web Pages (3)
2. Exceptable Errror Wrates
3. Urrata, I Mean Errrata, Oops, I Mean . . . Oh, Just Ship It!
4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?=FERe?= : Just FYI and Re[2]: Just =?iso-8859-1?Q?FYI=FE?=
5. Re[3]: acceptable error rates
6. Magazines
7. Re[2]: Just FYI
8. Contract Writer Needed - Indianapolis
10. Is it off-topic?
11. Font choices
12. HTML books
13. FW: Script Development Tutoring
14. acceptable error rates (4)
15. Client won't pay -a case history
16. Seeking entry level position.
17. WinHelp files to Mac HTML
18. Why I lurk (WAS: TECHWR-L list management)
19. FW: FW: acceptable error rates
20. Re[4]: Just FYI (3)
21. Re[2]: TECHWR-L list management
22. Pettiness
24. Computer-mediated collaboration
25. heard of this co? attended this seminar?
26. JOBS: Tech Writer and Editor, Bethesda, MD
27. Another point of view (2)
28. Relevance of Java to TWers?
29. no subject (file transmission)
30. Java for design of education materials on the web
31. Webmaster - Job title???

Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 01:01:42 -0400
From: Edward Savitz <sg94cshj -at- DUNX1 -dot- OCS -dot- DREXEL -dot- EDU>
Subject: Java in Educational Web Pages

Are there any educational web page designers out there who have used Java
applets to enhance the appearance or functionality of their work? Also,
have you used Microsoft's NetMeeting or similar conferening software in a
school or training environment? I am making suggestions to my college and
would appreciate feedback. I've dabbled with modifying some public domain
applets but they seem to show off the animation aspects and not the true
functionality. Do you agree?

Thanks
Ed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 07:50:19 +0200
From: Shmuel Ben-Artzi <sba -at- NETMEDIA -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Subject: Re: Java in Educational Web Pages

Fellow listmembers,

Could I please request that answers to Ed Savitz's query about the use of
Java applets, NetMeeting, etc. be made to the list. I am also very
interested in the subject, as I will soon begin work on just such an
educational project. I'm sure that there must be others who would like to
see this material as well.

Thanks and Shalom,

Shmuel Ben-Artzi
Netanya, Israel
sba -at- netmedia -dot- net -dot- il

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 22:39:42 PDT
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Subject: Re: Exceptable Errror Wrates

Nobody should walk into the Quality fire without clutching Deming's
OUT OF THE CRISIS to their bosom. The task of learning Quality
Assurance and applying it to those parts of Tech Pubs where it
makes sense to do so is no idle task. You either need to pony
up the appropriate level of expertise and effort, or punt. It's
far more scientific to sprinkle chicken blood on one's monitors
in the hope of generating good juju than it is to make up Quality
metrics without a solid grounding in the field.

The Quality biz is aimed squarely at manufacturing and other fields
with very repetitive tasks -- Customer Support is one example, perhaps.
But the essence of manual creation is not a set of repeated assembly-
line tasks; one manual is no