sentence

Subject: sentence
From: Thom Remington <remingtf -at- ENGG-MAIL -dot- LVS -dot- DUPONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:39:13 -0500

The question is, which is correct?

>...more may be required if a high number of records *is* retrieved
>...more may be required if a high number of records *are* retrieved

IMO, the first is correct. We are retrieving a high number. The phrase "of
records" is a prepositional phrase that tells us what the "high number" is
talking about.

Thom Remington remingtf -at- engg -dot- dnet -dot- dupont -dot- com
DuPont External Affairs
Information Design & Development
http://www.dupont.com
http://www.concentric.net/~remingtf