I think hell froze over

Subject: I think hell froze over
From: "Virginia J. Link" <LINKVI -at- MAIL -dot- STATE -dot- WI -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 15:26:17 -0600

So, Gaylin Walli, you probably knew this was going to happen:

Enquiring minds want to know: where is this place, and are they hiring?
Especially telecommuters, although we'd miss out on the hackysack, etc.

Virginia Link
Madison, WI USA
linkvi -at- mail -dot- state -dot- wi -dot- us

----------
<start snip from Gaylin Walli>

I believe I've found the perfect job. I'm still writing the same kinds of
documentation, but the people....let me tell you how different they are.

When I came on my interview, the first thing they did was drag me into the
coffee room so that the blood in my body wouldn't interfere with my caffeine
system. :) Then, as I'm heading towards the interviewer's office, a game of
hacky-sack enuses in the hallway and I am inadvertantly included.

<text deleted...>

My fears about their lack of work initiative have been unfounded. During my
first month of work we have not only completed an entire software revision
and started on the next, but we have written an 80-page addendum to the
reference manual (you can't really call 80 pages release notes, now, can
you?), started on the next major software revision of, and put into place an
entirely new system of documentation tracking and updating.

<...>

Best of all....I get my documents (all 80 pages) reviewed in 3 days or less
AND THEY HAVE WRITING ON THEM! These folk actually *look* at every page,
even the pages that don't pertain directly to their work. The reviewers make
insightful comments, reasonable suggestions, and they don't mind at all when
they see that I've edited their writing. In fact, they usually thank me for
improving what they wrote (not that I've had to edit much since they've
written wonderful stuff...).

<...>

I do believe I've been skating in hell....Here's to hoping that the rest of
you find a job as fun and rewarding and challenging as my newest one has
been to date.

Regards and best wishes,

Gaylin

Gaylin Walli
gaylin -dot- walli -at- cdc -dot- com or gjwalli -at- mtu -dot- edu