Re: Question on formatting for US Letter and A4 page sizes

Subject: Re: Question on formatting for US Letter and A4 page sizes
From: Chuck Blessing <chuck -dot- blessing -at- CBIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 06:45:33 -0600

Susan Macintosh wrote on 10/30/96:
>>Has anyone had experiences with creating documents for printing on both
A4 and US Letter sized pages?<<

I work on a project for the Swiss, who require all their official deliverables
to be on A4 paper. We also document the product that we sold them on 8 1/2 x 11
paper for the American market. Also, all our local printing during development
is on 8 1/2 x 11 paper

To keep things simple, we create all our documents in an A4 format, and set the
margins and layout accordingly. Then, if we are printing to 8 1/2 x 11 paper,
we print at 94% so that the page fits the paper. We even do this for our final
deliverables. Since A4 is taller and narrower than 8 1/2 x 11 paper, the 94%
reduction results in proportionally greater margins on the 8 1/2 x 11 paper.

There are probably more sophisticated means of printing to both paper sizes,
but this is simple and it works for us.

Also, if you print an 8 1/2 x 11 formatted document to a printer with A4 paper,
the printer usually stops and requests that you enter the correct sized paper,
but this depends on the printer. Some printers can handle both sizes of paper
in separate trays.

-----
Chuck Blessing - chuck -dot- blessing -at- cbis -dot- com OR cjb -at- one -dot- net
Cincinnati Bell Information Systems, Inc. (CBIS) - Cincinnati, Ohio