Procedural Steps II

Subject: Procedural Steps II
From: Margaret Packman <mpackman -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 10:19:02 -0700

All you Techwhirlers have been giving great advice to Eric on how to write
steps for short procedures and results.

Now I have a question on how to number steps within longer procedures. For
example, I have one procedure to document that's 47 steps long. I realize
that the obvious answer is for the engineers to make the procedure shorter,
but until that happens, I have broken it down to smaller chunks of 3-5
steps, with an header describing the overall step.

My question is, how do I indicate that those steps are part of a larger
procedure. One of the suggestions I've had (thanks, Bonni) was to write it
this way:

Step One: Install the Framis
First you need to install the Framis:
Step 1. Type thing 1. Something happens.
Step 2. Type thing 2. Something else happens here
Step 3. Type thing 3. Still another thing happens here.

Step Two: Install the Dohicky
After you have installed the Framis, install the Dohicky:
Step 1. Type thing 4. Something happens
Step 2. Etc.

Well, you get the picture.

I've also thought of putting in a flowchart to show how the major steps are
related.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

And my last question Bev and anyone else who's done research on the subject
-- what refernces have you found to help you with your research?

TIA, gals and guys.

>(<
Ms Packman
Documentation Goddess, DNRC O-
Holder of Past Knowledge
mpackman -at- cisco -dot- com

"Alpha's just another word for nothin' left to lose;
Beta's not much better, but it's free."