Re: Production

Subject: Re: Production
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 09:22:08 -0800

At 09:47 AM 11/1/96 EST, Melissa Hunter-Kilmer wrote:
>We've been preparing for a set of classes to be taught at our branch office
>about an hour away. This entails getting pages copied, stuffing them with
>tabs into binders, stuffing covers and spines into binders, packing them into
>boxes, and shipping them to the branch office. A temp did most of the work,
>and we supervised her, getting down and dirty at the end.

>I've done this a million times. My coworker, who is also a tech writer and a
>temporary transfer from another part of the company, has never done it. Her
>part of the company passes it all off to clerical staff.

Melissa,

When I was training, I always assembled the training materials and checked
the classroom setup myself. The one time I couldn't put the books together
myself--I was off doing another class and the books were to be delivered to
me on-site--another *trainer* did it and when I got the books to the class-
room, the page that said "include chart 1 here" stared at me boldly. Chart 1,
of course, was still back at the office.

If it's just a manual to copy for internal tech review, admin support
can do it just fine. If Chapter 6 starts on an even page, oh well. But
for training, it's extremely important that the materials be assembled
correctly. And if you want something done right... ;-)

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com
-- The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.