Tech. Writing website survey

Subject: Tech. Writing website survey
From: Tina Wright <wrightl3 -at- MENTOR -dot- CC -dot- PURDUE -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 10:22:57 -0500

Hello, TECHWR-Ls.

I am currently working on proposal for a class project that would
develop a technical writing website to be used as a resource for
professional writing students at Purdue University. I will be developing
a mock site to be used as an example and would like to get the
"professional perspective" on the content. Below you will find some
topics that I plan to acknowledge on my site.

Technical Writing skills
User manuals
Technical Reference guides
On-line help
White papers
Installation guides
Program/System documentation
Technical editing

Suggested computer skills -- What's useful/recommended?
Programming languages
Web development
Word processing
Desktop Publishing
PDF vs. HTML

Software Packages -- An analysis/explanation.
FrameMaker
PageMaker
QuarkXpress
RoboHelp
WinHelp

Technical Writing Resources
Relative websites
Publications
News groups
Organizations
STC
IEEE

Portfolio development

Job Postings **
** This is debatable. I'm on college student time constraints.

Question/Answer
An area where students could post questions for other visitors to answer.

Graduate Programs
School listings

I am asking for your help in making this site both comprehensive and
useful. Please take a few minutes to answer the questions below.

How would you rate the selected topics?

1 2 3 4 5

1 -- Lacking in a few areas.
3 -- Adequate.
5 -- Excellent.

Is there anything that you would alter/add/subtract? (Please answer in
the space below.)

Are there any resources (news groups, publications, websites, etc.) that
you would suggest be acknowledged? (Please answer in the space below?

Please add any additional comments.

Thank you for your time.

Tina Wright
tlw -at- expert -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu