Re: Recognition and grading

Subject: Re: Recognition and grading
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 07:25:03 PST

When I was managing the tech pubs group at WEITEK, I was constantly
working to nudge up people's job titles and classifications. Only
by constant harping on H.R. at every performance-review period could
I keep my writers from falling into stasis with regards to classification
and salary. Thus, I would promote people from "Interleaf Operator" to
"Editor," even if no money was forthcoming at the moment, or bump them
from "Tech Writer 2" to "Tech Writer 3." The pseudo-promotion would
put them behind the curve, salary-wise, and I'd be able to bludgeon a
raise out of the company. Also, people liked the cooler job titles.

Joanne's description makes it sound like her manager does not choose to
do these things, but instead to drift with company's way of doing things.
Since many companies do not promote from within, soon an existing
employee will see inexperienced young squirts being hired at better
salaries and job titles than they have. At this point it's time to
leave. An entrenched cluelessness is difficult even for technical
communicators to breach, and other companies will welcome experienced
writer/editors with open arms and wallets.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139