Re: Microsoft Style Guide

Subject: Re: Microsoft Style Guide
From: Legislative Serv Ctr <amurphy -at- WLN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 09:36:27 -0800

Here are three comments on the _Microsoft Manual of Style_.

1. A detailed review is forthcoming in _Techncial Communication_. The
author is Durthy Washington, owner of Style Guides by Design.

2. In our government agency we look first to our in-house style guide.
The Chicago and Microsoft manuals are used where the in-house book doesn't
get specific enough. We don't always agree with the Microsoft
recommendations, but we often consider them when preparing computer
documentation. (We're also good neighbors--the MS campus is only a couple
of hours away.)

3. I personally find useful the online version of the Microsoft manual,
included as a Windows 95 help file on CD-ROM.

Avon Murphy
Book Review Editor
_Technical Communication_
360-786-7052