Screen-sized Web Pages?

Subject: Screen-sized Web Pages?
From: Tom Tomasovic <Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- NATWEST-PLC-NY -dot- NWMARKETS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 19:08:20 +0000

Colleagues,

I hope this post does not stretch the limits of this list too far. You all
seem to be a wealth of information on a broad range of topics.

Can anyone suggest web sites to visit where the pages are designed "by the
screenful"? I am trying to illustrate to the people I work for/with the
value (necessity) of creating our (soon-to-be[?] online) documentation in a
more modular fashion. I would like to create a presentation, including
screen captures (for moral as well as practical support), of "well
designed" documents, i.e. those where scrolling is kept to a minimum and
information is presented in concise chunks.

Most of the web sites I have visited seem to operate on some variation of
the paper paradigm, i.e., the pages are designed as if they were on paper
(or some continuous medium), and extensive scrolling is necessary (although
they print very nicely).

(Sidebar: I raised a similar question at a seminar/class I attended in
October, and the general agreement was that web pages were still being
designed using the "paper" paradigm, and that, perhaps, web page designers
should pay more attention to the ideas put forth for good design for on
line documentation.)

In any case, your help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tom <<Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- NATWEST-PLC-NY -dot- nwmarkets -dot- com>>

You should be aware that the information contained within this message is
solely the opinion of the writer (me). The people at NatWest have no
control over how I express myself, and they should not be held responsible
for anything I say (unless, of course, I express it as a corporate
opinion).