Killer -Reply

Subject: Killer -Reply
From: "Walter L. Bazzini" <73300 -dot- 111 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 08:39:59 EST

>> The difference is in the overall state. "Abort" implies that the process
will be halted immediately, without consideration for cleanly stopping at a
"normal" breakpoint.

"Stops" does not imply that the action is immediate and implies a "safe"
stopping point.

Beryl Doane <<

Thank you, Beryl (and Tracy),

I've been watching this string and scratching my head throughout. Being
"politically correct" is one thing, but, jeeez.

While the word "abort" no doubt brings to mind "end a pregnancy" (and all the
arguments for or against), which came first, the word, or the fetus? To "stop",
as you say, suggests following routine proceedures for shutting something down
properly -- no rush, this is how it's done. To "abort" suggests a panic
situation -- such as an unwanted pregnancy, OR a runaway diesel engine -- where
immediate termination is desired. It may not be the "right" way to end the
pregnancy or stop the engine, but in either event, the situation at hand is not
wanted or normal.

--Walter Bazzini
73300 -dot- 111 -at- compuserve -dot- com