Re: Word 7 etymology

Subject: Re: Word 7 etymology
From: David Locke <locke -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- ANADRILL -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 11:21:21 +0000

At 09:24 AM 11/15/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Actually, Word stores formatting in every paragraph mark. All paragraph
>formatting, including tabs, for each paragraph is saved in its paragraph
>mark. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether it is the paragraph mark
>just before the paragraph, or just after....

In all versions of MS Word, the formatting is stored in the paragraph
following the text to which the formatting applied.

In the versions prior to MS Word 7.0, the paragraph formatting of the
content was applied to any new paragraph inserted into that content. The new
paragraph is inserted before the existing paragraph. This behavior was very
consistent.

In MS Word 7.0, the behavior is very strange, because its does the following:

1. It inserts the new paragraph before the old paragraph
2. The new paragraph takes on the style of the old paragraph
3. The old paragraph takes on the style defined by the old paragraph's
former (now new paragraph's) Style for Following Paragraph style property.

A, Style(B)=Style(A), Style(A)=Style for Following Paragraph(A)

When I upgraded to MS Word 7.0, I thought the behavior was weird and
unpredictable. Now that I understand it, its really just a bad idea. Maybe
we will be seeing more of this stuff in the Win97 (more object-oriented)
version.

Using the Following Paragraph style property creates a linked set of styles.

The change might have been a good idea, but since the changes do not get
propagated down the entire style chain, this really causes more trouble than
its worth. This change forces you to at least check your formatting if not
change it every time you insert a paragraph between two different styles.
And, the problem might actually be in the third (and normally unaffected)
paragraph, since its style was not changed and may have needed to be changed.

David

Locke -at- sugar-land -dot- anadrill -dot- slb -dot- com
Engineering - Drilling Information Products
200 Gillingham Ln. Voice: 281 285 4722
Sugar Land, TX 77487 Fax: 281 285 8098