Re: RoboHelp-the adventure begins

Subject: Re: RoboHelp-the adventure begins
From: Sue Heim <sue -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 11:08:03 -0800

To Julie's:
> >I've just been green-lighted to develop on-line help for a new tool
> >with RoboHelp
<snip>
Sue Gallagher wrote:
<snip>
> When they have all (or most of) the dialog boxes, etc., defined in
> their .rc (resource) file, they'll need to run makehelp. This will
> produce a .hm file with all the dialog box help IDs defined. (the
> IDs should mostly be obvious from their names, but you may need some
> guidance on which ID goes to which dialog box). You take the .hm
> file and attach it to robo. Then, when you create a context-
> sensitive help topic, you use the help ID string from the .hm file
> as the context string for the topic (select it from the list in the
> topic definition dialog). When you put the help file and the program
> in the same directory, the links are automagic.

One thing to add... if you've purchased the WinHelp Office suite,
there's a nifty util included called WinHelp BugHunter. This
handy-dandy little item allows you to figure out what the heck the
context IDs are (if your programmers are as vague as mine!). You just
launch BugHunter (which stays on top of all apps), then click Help or
press [F1] in the app for which you are trying to link context help. The
ID appears (in decimal) in the BugHunter window. Then you just need
to convert that number to Hex and match it to the number in the .HM.
Simple (and this way I don't have to depend on the programmer's to
remember to give me the IDs! <grin>)!

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Carlsbad, California USA
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com