Word choices

Subject: Word choices
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 18:02:32 -0800

At 08:49 PM 11/21/96 -0800, you wrote:
>If you can slop words onto paper like latex paint on a blank wall and still
>satisfy these five Cs, I want to sit at your feet and learn. The word
>sloppers are the ones who generally produce all that lamentable
>documentation out there that no one reads.

This begs the next question, which is:

How do we differentiate good writing from bad writing?

This is the question I grapple with everyday. Is there a definitive answer?
Would it be usability testing? Research projects? A combination of both?

I think that the answer is complex and not yet within our reach. As a
profession, we need to think about how we can answer this question, totally
or partially.

Regards...Kris