origin of a phrase

Subject: origin of a phrase
From: Thom Remington <remingtf -at- ENGG-MAIL -dot- LVS -dot- DUPONT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 11:22:03 -0500

Recently, I ran into a bit of controversy over the phrase "bigger bang for
the buck." I had always assumed that this had to do with explosives -
fireworks and the like, but I was told that it had originated as a
description dealing with prostitution. 'Nuff said.

Question: Does anyone know *definitively* how this expression has arisen?
Has anyone else run into a problem with this expression?

Please respond directly to me. I'll summarize for the list.

Thanks.

Thom Remington
thomas -dot- f -dot- remington -at- usa -dot- dupont -dot- com
Thom Remington thomas -dot- f -dot- remingon -at- usa -dot- dupont -dot- com
DuPont External Affairs
Information Design & Development
http://www.dupont.com
http://www.concentric.net/~remingtf