Re: Correct Wording for Examples

Subject: Re: Correct Wording for Examples
From: Tom Tomasovic <Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- NATWEST-PLC-NY -dot- NWMARKETS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 16:51:59 +0000

RE: i.e. and e.g. vs. that is and for example

Just to jump in quickly. After reading all the replies in this thread,
what I think is supremely important is to ensure that, if you do choose to
use these terms, you make sure that they are ALWAYS used properly, whether
or not the READERS get them right.

As to the appropriateness of using the abbreviations, I guess that's
between you and your audience. I personally don't like to "waste" an
inordinate amount of space on "for examples" or "that is", but that is only
a personal preference.

I might also add that, while I personally am not sure what e.g. and i.e.
stand for (in Latin), I read them as "for example" and "that is" just as I
read Internal Revenue Service for IRS, etc.

Regards,

Tom <<Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- NATWEST-PLC-NY -dot- nwmarkets -dot- com>>

You should be aware that the information contained within this message is
solely the opinion of the writer (me). The people at NatWest have little
control over how I express myself, and they should not be held responsible
for anything I say (unless, of course, I express it as a corporate
opinion).