Re: RoboHelp bullets appearing as "n"s

Subject: Re: RoboHelp bullets appearing as "n"s
From: Collin Wong <CBWONG -at- US -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:18:12 -0800

[...out of lurk mode for my very first post...]

In a couple of recent digests, some folks had trouble with RoboHelp
displaying "n"s instead of bullets. From a senior writer in our group,
here's a workaround:

1. Create a new topic in the offending file.
2. Leave the topic title empty.
3. Ensure that the topic does not have any A or K keywords, or a browse string
(in RoboHelp check the Do not include Topic in Index or Browse String).
4. Enter a unique topic id as per usual.
5. After the topic is created insert something from the Wingding character set
(in Word, do Insert-->Symbol and choose something from the Wingding font).
6. Recompile.

For the curious: There is a bug in the WinHelp compiler's compression
algorithm. Basically, the compression algorithm has a tendency to exclude all
fonts that are not needed to display the text in a particular RTF file. As a
result, it sometimes excludes the Wingding font, which is needed to display
the square bullets we use. So, by inserting one Wingding character in a dummy
topic somewhere in the file, you are forcing the compiler to include the
Wingding font.

HTH, and my apologies if this (or another) solution has already appeared.

--Collin

Collin Wong
Oracle Corporation
Tools Division Documentation