Re: Frame Indexing

Subject: Re: Frame Indexing
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:08:19 -0800

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:25:50 MTN
From: bkane -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM
Subject: Re[2]: Frame Indexing

>I beg to differ with these comments:

>>Although *creating* index markers in FrameMaker is relatively simple,
>>editing the resulting index can be frustrating. Frame (unless it has
>>changed in version 5) has no capability to display the text within
>>the marker in running text, nor can you edit a complete book index.
>>This means that although you find the errors in the final alphabetical
>>book index, you have to correct them chapter-by-chapter. A royal pain.

>I have three years' experience creating and editing indexes in Frame docs,
>and I think it's a great system! I quickly edit complete book indexes all
>the time.
>The hypertext links make it so easy to jump back to any marker and edit it.
>With one click, the chapter the marker's in is automatically opened, and
>you're right there in the marker text.
>It's no pain at all, as long as other people don't have the chapters open
>already, and the chapters aren't much bigger than 2,000K. It's a very
>smooth process. If you want the editing process to go as fast as possible,
>leave all the chapters open in the background (especially if they're over
>2,000K).

I have successfully done many indexes in Frame also. I didn't say it
was impossible, I just said it was very awkward. I still maintain that
having to have all chapters open on your desktop and edit marker-by-
marker and chapter-by-chapter rather than being able to edit the whole
index at once, or markers within the text without having to open them,
is a pain.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html <-------- NEW!!!

"Politics is show business for ugly people"
-- James Carville