Trouble finding work

Subject: Trouble finding work
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:08:31 -0600

Dawn Langley wrote to report the age old Catch-22: No work
without experience, and no experience without work. Here's
something that might be worth a try: go back to some of the
places you were most interested in and offer to work for 6
months at half wages or whatever % reduction you're
comfortable with (i.e., work as an intern). If your work is
satisfactory after that time period, you get promoted to
full salary. If they choose not to promote you to full
salary, at least you now have 6 months of work experience
on your resume when you bang on the next door.

Have you considered doing the same thing, but as a
freelancer/contractor/consultant? Any company that produces
printed information (check your junk mail!) needs a writer
or editor, and this might be your entree into a more
enjoyable career than wageslave. I do both (mostly
wageslave), but I'm not normal by any stretch of the
imagination.