Re: Advanced degrees -Reply

Subject: Re: Advanced degrees -Reply
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 11:41:53 -0600

Bill Sullivan wrote:

> I think if there were 10 Commandments for Technical Writers and
> Editors, the first 9 would be: Educate Thyself and Keep Thy Skills
> Current, Sharp, and Up-To-Date. Acquiring a college degree doesn't

Oh, I get it...

1. Educate
2. Thyself
3. Keep
etc.
(hope the Latin term isn't too highbrow)

> degree might be a good thing to arm yourself with. But don't forget
> the first 9 commandments.

I think you're on to something here. Imagine future theologians
discussing these commandments....

"Since Commandment 6 is higher in the list than Commandment 7,
'currentness' must have greater importance than 'sharpness.'"

"Balderdash! Order cannot be construed to imply relative importance.
What is of greater significance is the curious similarity between
commandments 2 and 4. Despite their grammatical difference, can we say
that 'thy' and 'thyself' are ontologically equal?"

"What about Commandment 9? Because the hyphens are clearly the addition
of a later redactor, the commandment in its present state is a synthesis
of earlier proto-commandments, possibly taken from surrounding cultures
of marketing or public relations writers. Aren't we really talking 12
commandments here?"

(from the back of the room) "I think 'and' should count as a commandment
too."

Sorry, it's the day before Thanksgiving, and I must be feeling festive.

Steve

P.S. Bill, what's the tenth commandment?

--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019