Re: Writing User Guide for code

Subject: Re: Writing User Guide for code
From: AnnMacknz -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 15:19:48 -0500

" I'm trying to outline the user guide for this product. Common sense and
experience tells me that I should list real world tasks, ie things the user
actually wants to do with this product and then the content of each task
will give examples of code (i.e. specific syntax structures) that will
achieve
this task. Can anyone suggest an alternative approach to planning a user
guide for this type of product?"

I think you are on the right track, Keith. You could set up chapters by the
main
type of project the user would attempt, then carefully choose good examples
within the main type that illustrate questions of syntax, etc. the user would
ask.

Depending upon the type of project, I usually have additional chapters on
troubleshooting
and maintenance, as well.

Ann Mackenzie
TekDoc - Technical Documentation, Inc.