Re: flat fee question.. . .

Subject: Re: flat fee question.. . .
From: Bruce WHITE <WHITE -at- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 09:17:07 UT

Bobby Collins <bcollins -at- IPA -dot- NET> wrote:

>suggesting an on-going relationship (probably similar assignments monthly),
>but would prefer a flat fee. I would like to develop a regular relationship
>(spell that: I-need-the-work), and am therefore open to the idea.
>Having considered the possibilities of long-long assignments, short-short
>assignments, research-intensive assignments, and familiar themes, I am
>thinking of a number between $200 and $400 per assignment.
>So, have I missed anything? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I suspect that your client wants some predictability to their costs. Perhaps
you could supply that by thinking of a number and doubling it. Charge the
$400, it may seem like too much to you but it meets the needs of the client.
Alternatively, you could meet the need by other means.

JoAnn Hackos (from Comtech) does a course on "Estimating and Managing
Documentation Projects"
She has also written a book on the subject. After doing the course I realised
that the work that I do (hypertext editing) is best done on an hourly rate. I
no longer accept clients who cannot work like that.

I have clients who need my services but cannot afford to have the expertise
in-house. In return, I itemise all the time I spend. The client builds up a
stack of the information for their future estimating. This suits everybody.

WinHelp IT Editing
white -at- msn -dot- com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/whited