Re: flat fee question...

Subject: Re: flat fee question...
From: AnnMacknz -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 11:44:42 -0500

Rebecca Phillips wrote a well-reasoned and informative explanation of
flat-fee structuring for contract writers. >>>

However, as a contractor, I charge by the hour, just like electricians,
programmers, and plumbers. That's because, like them, I never know exactly
what I will find. Too often, software that is purported to be complete,
isn't when used by a tech writer (the final testing before release).
Additionally, just like carpenters' experiences, our clients often get ideas
for changes that change the scope of the project.

Luckily, there is so much work to be done that we writers can be firm about
our rates and the reasons for charging what we do (just like all the other
self-employed). Not only are we paying our own salaries, we are paying all
our own expenses, from employer's taxes, to sick and vacation pay, to
marketing costs.

Ann Mackenzie
TekDoc - Technical Documentation, Inc.