Re: Screen-sized Web Pages?

Subject: Re: Screen-sized Web Pages?
From: David Wernick <tirza -at- NETMEDIA -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 14:47:32 +0200

Matt Ion wrote:

> Also, when you're talking about "most" computers, granted, "target
> audience" comes into play a little it (if you know you're dealing with
> a lot of graphic artists, you can safely assume most are running at
> higher resolutions), but the majority of systems you'll find "on the
> street" are still stuck at their default VGA settings (640x480x16
> colors)

This was true a year or two ago, but does it still hold with the move to
Windows 95? In theory, Windows 95 Setup sets SVGA (or better) display
capabilities automatically. In practice, I don't know how well this works.

Does anyone know the statistics? At what resolution and number of colors do
most users actually run their systems? Is there a difference in this
respect between home users, business users, and computer professionals
(other than graphic artists)?

David Wernick

TIRZA
Developers of:
* User's Guides * Technical Manuals * Online Documents *
* Custom MS Word Macros * Authoring Tools *
POB 443, Elkana 44814, Israel
tel: 972-3-9362170
email: tirza -at- netmedia -dot- net -dot- il