Re: Definitions v. Glossary/Windows Terminology

Subject: Re: Definitions v. Glossary/Windows Terminology
From: Mike Dean <mikedean -at- INTNET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 13:52:28 -0500

Wayne J. Douglass wrote:

> At 12:52 PM 12/3/96 -0500, Mike Dean wrote:
> >I have a list of terms that apply either to our applications or to
> >Windows terms that our users may have a limited understanding of. These
> >are appended to my help files. They started life as a list of
> >definitions, but it looks more like a glossary to me now.
> >
> There's a difference?

> IMHO, I avoid that definitions of Windows terms these days. Once upon a time
> you had to worry about users not knowing Windows terms, but now?

> --Wayne Douglass

# $ K + DLL
A Dll, or Dynamic Link Library, is a Windows Executable file that
provides functionality. A dll is loaded by a program when that
functionality is needed. A dll becomes an Event Handler when it
provides the functionality to perform or handle some type of Event. The
handler may need some data in order to perform the event, so it must
also provide functionality to get that data.

Example of a Windows System Term that a User of our system may need to
understand.

Many users of our client product (vs the server applications, which the
above applies to) will have worked on a transcription system that is DOS
based. Unless they had a computer at home, this may be the first shot a
t Windows. (yes I do agree that this is somewhat unusual in today's
world) For them the Gloss includes terms like:

# $ K + Browse
The Browse button in Windows dialog boxes allows you to search for
information or files needed by that dialog box.

If after a Beta release of the product, these type of terms are
unneccessary, I could delete them. Does anyone have any experience with
this type of audience?

I have been advised that Glossary is the recognized term for the list of
term definitions. Anyone disagree?

--
Mike Dean
Tampa FL