Re: Experience with Style Guide

Subject: Re: Experience with Style Guide
From: John Posada <jposada -at- NOTES -dot- CC -dot- BELLCORE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:15:46 -0500

Part of effective writing is to write for your audience.

If you are writing for the audience that uses terms such as netdude, warez,
etc., and want to be taken seriously by that circle of readers, then even if
you choose not to write that way or to that circle of readers, you should be
prepared to know HOW to do it if the situation requires it.

If you are writing children's books, don't you write a specific way that a
child understands it? Think of the Wired circle of readers as "children of the
net".

As far as what sort of contribution could editors of Wired make to the English
language, watch out. Their idioms are going to be in the English language in
our lifetime. Get used to it. You can't stop it.

John Posada
Way-cool netdude and web surfer extraordinaire
-------------------------------------

Stacey Roberts wrote:

> Synopsis:
> Wired magazine's top editors have weighed thousands of new terms,
> phrases, idioms, and usages of the language since the advent of the
> global village. Elements of Style is no longer sufficient as a guide to
> English usage--Wired America needs Wired Style.

Yikes, what sort of contribution could the editors of Wired make to
English usage? How to use "warez" in a sentence? How to write like a
really cool netdude? I think I'll avoid this one.

--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019