Making group work palatable

Subject: Making group work palatable
From: Mary Massirer <Mary_Massirer -at- BAYLOR -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:26:22 -0600

My technical writing students are griping about the collaborative work we're
doing at the end of the semester. I have grouped them in threes based on
similar majors and have asked them to choose 3 web sites to analyze, compare,
and contrast according to some criteria I suggested. They're welcome to add
their own criteria. They are handing in a written report from the three of
them, and each is doing an assessment of how the group functioned (who did
what, did everyone share equally, etc.)

I think this is a worthwhile project because of its emphasis on evaluation and
comparison/contrast, not to mention the collaboration and the exposure to the
WWW. How can I make this a more attractive project next semester? I would
appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks, Mary Massirer
(mary_massirer -at- baylor -dot- edu)