Re: Making group work palatable

Subject: Re: Making group work palatable
From: Eric Haddock <eric -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:39:02 -0600

I don't know why, but I don't like group projects in the school setting.
It's an odd quirk because I play well with others out in the real world.
It's just group+school=distaste.

The times I had to do group things, what made it more palatable for me
was to have something of my own to turn in in addition to the group
project. I could do my own thing, have my own voice--get my own grade more
importantly--and still participate in the group.
In your example, if I were in your class I would feel better being
grouped with people completely outside my major. I'd be very eager to be in
a group of people who're unlike me because I would be getting totally
different perspectives. This would help me greatly in the real world
because--especially as a TW--I'm likely to be grouped with non-TWs.
Appreciating foreign perspectives would be helpful. I've already stepped on
engineer toes but had I known better to begin with....

Eric Haddock ------ http://personal.pitnet.net/moonlion (temporary URL)
Engage Networks, Inc. -------- http://www.engagenet.com
Technical writer in Milwaukee, WI

My dream: falling sugar instead of snow this winter