PageMaker to FrameMaker

Subject: PageMaker to FrameMaker
From: Deborah Wood <DWood -at- SHAREDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 13:29:38 -0800

Our team is currently using PageMaker 6.0 and we're considering changing
to FrameMaker 5.0. We have dozens of .PM6 files that will need to be
converted.

Adobe tells us that the conversion is easy -- simply save the PageMaker
files as windows metafiles (.WMF) and open them in FrameMaker. According
to Adobe, if we open them in Frame, the files will retain all their
formatting and document design features.

Although we like this answer, we're a bit skeptical -- it sounds a
little too good to be true. Does anyone have experience converting PM
files to FM files? Does it actually work the way Adobe says? Or, is
reality a far cry from the spec?

If you have experienced this type of conversion or have knowledge of the
process, we'd appreciate hearing from you. How'd it go? Would you do it
again? Was it worth it? What happened to your PM index -- did it convert
also?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

********
Deborah Wood