Re: Survey: Which DTP do you use?

Subject: Re: Survey: Which DTP do you use?
From: Christie Christopherson <chrisc -at- NED -dot- CACHE -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 00:06:25 -0700

Kris Olberg wrote:

> A recent thread on TECHWR-L debates which is the most commonly used desktop
> publishing package.

> Send me a mail indicating your DTP. I'll tabulate the responses and post.
> We'll leave this survey open for one week.

I apologize if this is a duplicate message, but here goes.

WordPerfect is my #1 choice for word processing and DTP.

FYI--Corel Corp. now owns the WordPerfect product and has improved it
and marketed it since purchasing it from Novell. Perhaps they haven't
quite marketed it enough if users aren't sure the product still exists.
Corel Office 7 (Professional Edition) has nearly everything a freelance
editor would want. I also own Microsoft Office for the sake of some of
my clients, but if I want to be productive and efficient while producing
an awesome document, I don't use it.

Here's an example of WordPerfect coming to my rescue. Just a couple of
weeks ago, I was working on a government proposal with several other
people (using PageMaker), and somehow the original and backup PM files
became unreadable. In just a few hours, I converted everyone's draft
files and compiled them into WordPerfect, including graphics, and the
finished product looked better than it did in PM. The automatic ToC
feature, styles, and other functions worked flawlessly, enabling us to
meet the deadline with a quality document in hand.

WordPerfect also contains an Internet Publisher, which enables users to
save WordPerfect documents, including graphics, to HTML and GIF formats
with a couple of clicks.

Disclaimer: I'm not very familiar with some DTP programs such as
FrameMaker and Quark, but I'm learning. However, WordPerfect is, by far,
my
favorite of the ones I know well.

Christie Christopherson