Re: Teaching Tools in Tech Comm Programs

Subject: Re: Teaching Tools in Tech Comm Programs
From: David Locke <dlocke -at- PHOENIX -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 01:06:39 -0600

At 09:31 AM 12/5/96 -0500, you wrote:
>That said, how can we help make a difference?
>1. Advisory boards of technical communication programs.
>2. We can offer to speak to student STC chapters
>3. We can encourage internship programs
>4. We can contribute money, hardware, and software to the TC program(s)
>5. We can contribute money, hardware, and software personally.

>And there are probably lots of other activities that could be added to this
>list, so be creative in responding to the challenge.

We, and the STC in particular, seem to make an effort to get people to
become TC's, but outside of the local chapter job bank we don't do enough
to help. And, beyond entry levels, many senior TC's don't have experience
in the newest tools. It seems to me that we could set up incubators like
the SBA does for small business. We could set up a small classroom with
networked PCs and the latest tools. That would help everyone keep up on the
tool end.

David

locke -at- phoenix -dot- net
(409)925-8012