Re: Desperately Seeking Graphics in Word Expertise

Subject: Re: Desperately Seeking Graphics in Word Expertise
From: Gurudutt Kamath/Technical Writing Centre <guruk -at- GIASBM01 -dot- VSNL -dot- NET -dot- IN>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 15:08:31 +0530

Hello!

Here is how I handle graphics (screen dumps).

1. I capture them and keep them in a directory.
2. I Paste Link the graphics. Which means the graphics remain in the
directory and only the link information is stored with the document. You
need to select this option when you paste link.

There is only one hitch with this method. There is no easy way to
re-link if you change the location of the graphics. Word will ask you
for the location and file name and you will have to enter them
individually. Maybe someone has a macro or utility to handle such an
eventuality.

One more idea to pursue is to reduce the colur choices from 256 (or 16
million) to 16 or even just monochrome. Still another tip to remember is
to toggle the option Save Picture in Native Format. This will reduce the
file size of each graphic by a wee bit. I intentionally say toggle
because I cannot remember whether this option should be on or off to do
the trick. Best of luck.

Hope this helps.

Guru
Technical Writing Centre, Mumbai (Bombay), India

"I edit_s_ user manuals." "i right them 2."
(http://members.tripod.com/~Kamath/index.html)
(Voice:91-22-886 21 83 Pager: 9624-215 911)